A warm-up helps you prepare both mentally and physically for exercise and reduces the chance of injury. During a warm up, any injury or illness you have can often be recognised, and further injury prevented. Other benefits of a proper warm up include:
- Increased movement of blood through your tissues, making the muscles more pliable.
- Increased delivery of oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. This prevents you from getting out of breath early or too easily.
- Prepares your muscles for stretching.
- Prepares your heart for an increase in activity, preventing a rapid increase in blood pressure.
- Prepares you mentally for the upcoming exercise.
- Primes your nerve-to-muscle pathways to be ready for exercise.
- Improved coordination and reaction times.